Friday, September 18, 2026

Thinking about teaching & learning gardens: Entrance slip for our Sept 24 class

I think I only had one big stop while reading this article: land on university turfs are prioritized for economic value, which creates pressure to replace gardens with say dorm buildings. In addition, most garden projects depend on volunteers and fundraising. I would imagine, say someone really loves gardens, giving gardens values like being a classroom where students can learn in / from provides more values to schools, and might avoid demolishing the garden. Perhaps this can even be understood as a survival strategy? If we put enough educational value to gardens, playgrounds, or anything that doesn't traditionally related to "education", we can make our classes more diverse and engaging, and still save our hobbies!

I think one thing I can do with gardens is exploring geometry. We can teach geometric ideas like perimeter and area, and assign our students to plan out their own garden design. Furthermore, if we teach calculus, we can use derivatives to find an optimized size for our gardens. 

One problem I can think of at the moment is the lack of resources. What if the school I work for has administrations that are more "practical" and believes gardens are not worth maintaining, or they simply lack the budget to maintain a garden. Another concern is that if I have a class of energic students, how would I maintain structure when we are leaving the classroom? How do I prevent students from just skipping class when I am not looking? 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thinking about teaching & learning gardens: Entrance slip for our Sept 24 class

I think I only had one big stop while reading this article: land on university turfs are prioritized for economic value, which creates press...